PDA

View Full Version : EDIUS mxf in AVID

Andreas_Gumm
09-05-2011, 06:48 PM
Does AVID on a PC work with "Canopus MXF Codec"?

GrassValley_SL
09-05-2011, 06:51 PM
The XDCAM- EX exporter will create MP4 files just as the camera creates. Not MXF.
There is a difference between XDCAM and XDCAM-EX

Andreas_Gumm
09-05-2011, 06:56 PM
Sorry,
that was just a technical question intended to know if I could deliver "Canopus MXF" if the target AVID system works on Windows PC?
Could this be an alternative delivery format? Has someone an experience with "Canopus MXF" on AVID?

GrassValley_SL
09-05-2011, 07:01 PM
What mbps do you need?
Maybe you can use either the XDCAM mxf or P2?

Andreas_Gumm
09-05-2011, 07:29 PM
It's actually just curiousity of myself about if "Canopus MXF Codec" (HQ, HQX, Lossless) would work as footage in AVID if the free Canopus Codec Package is installed on PC? ;)
Sometimes I have do deliver footage to an AVID editor. In the past we used AVID DNxHD all the time!

Andrzej
09-05-2011, 08:35 PM
It didn't when I tried last time, but you can export to Canopus codecs. Just silly AVI file size restriction in AVID.

Andreas_Gumm
09-05-2011, 08:46 PM
Andrew,
are you able to test Canopus MXF in AVID at any future time?

Andrzej
09-05-2011, 11:06 PM
There are 2 AVID system in the the same building as my company based, but I don't think that MXF will work. I don't think my friend will be happy to install Edius codec pack :)
You can always download AVID trial- that's the way how I tested it last time.

DNxHD exported from Edius will have wrong colors/gamma- there is a way to minimize difference just to 601/709 color space issue- maybe this could be fixed during ingest to AVID. It could work fine at the end.

MytByte
09-05-2011, 11:26 PM
I brought an AVID MXF with IMX 50 video inside into EDIUS (sound was separate so I had to sync it from a separate audio file), made some corrections and inserts and exported to MXF file using the IMX50 MXF preset somehow existent in "print to file" option in EDIUS...now I wait for the chance to bring the file back to AVID, see if it works...

Might as well ge that AVID trial...

Andrzej
09-05-2011, 11:33 PM
Should work no problem. IMX is just a mpeg2, so works fine in Edius and AVID.

MytByte
09-05-2011, 11:45 PM
Should work no problem. IMX is just a mpeg2, so works fine in Edius and AVID.

Yeah, I know, and hope it's that simple...hoped for the same with the AVID Quicktime self-contained movie strategy that eventually didn't work for import into EDIUS...luckily there were the mxf and the audio as separate files that the self-contained QT referred to, so I used those instead of the freaking Quicktime...

Andreas_Gumm
09-06-2011, 12:31 AM
Thank you guys,
I really know which common codecs work.
So it just would be fine to find out if the MXF version of Canopus Codec will work.
As far as I know MXF is the prefered file container vor AVID!

Sadly I have no time for testing the trial version in next two weeks.
I just hoped someone did it already...

Andrzej
09-06-2011, 01:06 AM
MXF works quite well between AVID and Edius as long as there is common codec inside: MPEG2, AVC-I (not sure about uncompressed in AVID). Edius codecs in MXF will be problematic for AVID, the same as AVID codecs for Edius. I have some AVID SD 1:1x MXF files and they don't work in Edius. DNxHD in MXF does not work neither- because Edius does not understand DNxHD in MXF. It could be sorted by GV, but DNxHD in MXF is not free (DNxHD in MOV is), so GV would have to pay license fee.

Ffmpeg comes to rescue in some cases- I had some IMX files today in MOV container (I assume from FCP). Edius didn't want to read them, but quick (5min for 90min footage) re-wrapping to transport stream and they worked like a charm :) Simple, fast, efficient and 100% same quality.

Andreas_Gumm
09-06-2011, 02:19 AM
You are absolutely right, FFMPEG & also AVISynth & VitualDub rescued many workflows & maked my day often times. ;)
It's simply unbelievable how much work & knowledge has been invested in developing such great free video tools!

MytByte
09-06-2011, 03:22 PM
Yep, thank God for TSmuxer too..

GrassValley_SL
09-06-2011, 03:24 PM
Please stay on topic. Take any discussion not directly related to EDIUS to the lounge.
Thanks.
This includes avisynth, Vdub and FFmeg or any other tool.
While these are useful, discussion about these should be in the lounge .

Thanks.

This is what the forum is for:
Section for desktop/professional users to discuss use of EDIUS software and related hardware.

The tools mentioned above do not fall in this description.

Andreas_Gumm
09-06-2011, 03:39 PM
I agree the free tools we have actually spoken about have no context to EDIUS!
Sorry for our yackety-yak! ;)