PDA

View Full Version : Edius 6.01: No audio playback when editing AVCHD files

GrassEditor
01-22-2011, 02:20 AM
Hi all,

I rarely get to edit AVCHD files and thus have little experience in this field. This said, there is one legacy AVCHD Edius 5.5 project I have lying on my HDD plus I just got couple of new AVCHD clips to edit now.

When importing and dragging the clips to the timeline I can see the waveform - but when playing the timeline there is no sound (same when watching clips in player window).
If I import any other kind of material and drag it to the exact same timeline there is sound. Anyone know what's the problem?

Additional info:
1) Edius says in the clip properties, too, that there is audio.
2) I re-opened the above mentioned legacy project (editing finished couple of months ago): Same situation here, waveform there but no sound on playback.
3) When I import the same clips to PremierePro or AE the sound is there.

Any ideas what's wrong with my settings?

CentralEurope
01-22-2011, 09:25 AM
1) Edius says in the clip properties, too, that there is audio.
that is only the half ... 2ch or 6ch is the additional question

have you a 2 channel or 8 channel project in Edius_6

what is on this properties tab marked for "abhören als" ( hear/interpret as ch 1/2 and so on) ??

give us a screenshot from this tab, and from (the new) channel mapping window
and your Timeline track header part

Schönes Wochenende noch .... Central€urope
(Have a nice weekend)

GrassEditor
01-22-2011, 11:09 AM
2ch or 6ch is the additional question

have you a 2 channel or 8 channel project in Edius_6

what is on this properties tab marked for "abhören als" ( hear/interpret as ch 1/2 and so on) ??

Thanks Central€urope

The AVCHD material is 6ch, the project is 8ch. In the properties tab it says "play back selected channel as stereo"; choosing other settings seemingly has no effect. It's so strange, as if a driver was missing?! The 2ch HD clip on the same track plays back without flaws.
When I change to Premiere Pro, export the AVCHD clip's audio as WAV and then import to Edius it plays as expected (it's just I cannot do this for every AVCHD clip now).

Please have a look at the requested screenshots - can you spot what's wrong?

CentralEurope
01-22-2011, 12:56 PM
sorry, I am not at home on the WS ... so I can not test your "channelmapping" in nature...

but for channelmapping in cause to 5.1 files look at http://ediusforum.grassvalley.com/forum/showpost.php?p=123557&postcount=4

http://ediusforum.grassvalley.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=4030&d=1283558678

if you need a real mixdown (from all tracks)to stereo 2.0
a) over AVCHD converter Tool
b) export from a 6 (8) channel project

if you can live with lost the channel 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 deactivate the channel with the "source tabs" on the trackheader before import

than you have "pseudo - Stereo" = only front-right and front-left channel with reduced volume
in compare to "real mixdown (from all tracks)to stereo 2.0

about this is a thread on http://www.grassvalley-foren.de/index.php?form=PostEdit&postID=44560 (but need log-in)

attention: change the project-channel mapping is for all new sequences in this project
for sequences who exist before the change, you have to go in the "Sequenze channel-mapping"

GrassEditor
01-22-2011, 03:05 PM
This was a helpful post for me, thanks again. I proceeded exactly as suggested.

Screenshot 1 shows what Edius 6.01 makes out of the surround channel mapping (of the active sequence) when changing the display mode.

Screenshot 2 shows all 6 channels of the AVCHD file in the timeline; so that worked, but again no sound on playback. When deactivating ch 3-6, as expected, only the front L and R channels show.
Upon export of the 6ch AVCHD file from timeline to a 2ch Canopus HQ file and reimport of that newly generated file, there is no waveform anymore!

--> The conclusion might be that despite the AVCHD file shows a waveform in my Edius 6.01, there is no sound behind. That's why it doesn't play, that's why it cannot be exported. This would also explain why any other material, when dragged to the exact same timeline, plays back with sound (Note: The AVCHD file does of course have sound as e.g. PremierePro handles it normally; Edius just seems not to see it).

Another observation:
Under Edius 5.5 I could just double-click AVCHD files in the Windows explorer and then watch in the AVCHD preview player which would open. This does not work anymore since installation of E6, I can now only see this file type after importing it into Edius, PremierePro, AE, etc. - Is this normal or does the problem maybe start here already?

tingsern
01-23-2011, 04:45 AM
Under Edius 5.5 I could just double-click AVCHD files in the Windows explorer and then watch in the AVCHD preview player which would open. This does not work anymore since installation of E6, I can now only see this file type after importing it into Edius, PremierePro, AE, etc. - Is this normal or does the problem maybe start here already?

Whose AVCHD preview player is that? GV's own or Microsoft's or somebody's else? I can check Window's association list and see what program is being launched when you double click on a AVCHD file.

Ron Evans
01-23-2011, 03:00 PM
What is showing in the audio mixer when you play?
Ron Evans

GrassEditor
01-24-2011, 01:07 PM
Whose AVCHD preview player is that? GV's own or Microsoft's or somebody's else?

It's GV's own. Meanwhile I've obtained the update, though - the files are now playing in the player (with sound) upon double clicking.
I can now also again convert the files to Canopus HQ. So that's at least a workaround although not convenient and a bit disappointing because E6 is supposed to be "expert" in working with AVCHD.

Ron, the audiomixer does not show sound when playing the AVCHD files in the timeline (despite the visible waveform there). When playing anything else, even in the same timeline track, the audiomixer bars move and sound is audible.

Should I be doing a complete re-installation of Edius 6.01 since I updated from 5.5?

Ron Evans
01-24-2011, 02:50 PM
Have you tried with a new project?

Ron Evans

GrassEditor
01-24-2011, 11:42 PM
Yes I have, also with different settings (was in fact one of the first things I did after rebooting). I even tried with a new profile.

I tend to think that some kind of driver within Edius is missing so that my installation of E6.01 doesn't recognize the audio (PremierePro, AE and now also the AVCHD preview play the files correctly).

Since I cannot recall any irregularities during the update installation I wonder how this could happen and if I'm the only known case. Maybe Edius 6.1 will fix this "bug" (I hear it may be coming towards March)?

CentralEurope
01-25-2011, 01:05 AM
files coming out from what for Cam??

can you upload a file who not play on your timeline (max 100MB) on http://www.file-upload.net/ and give us the downloadlink

a) here on the publik place
b) if you not need the publik place => per PM to me and other members who will test it

when you now can playback from the player windows .... it is imho to 50% not a driver ... more a chanellmapping thing

I can now also again convert the files to Canopus HQ.
if this at current time your only way ... try this => with the AVCHD File Conversion Utility v3.31 (Win7 & EDIUS 6 compatible)
http://ediusforum.grassvalley.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20325&highlight=AVCHD+File+Conversion+Utility

it is faster and you can activate in the UI from the tool >> the function "downmix to 2 channel"

nächtliche Grüße.... Central€urope

Ron Evans
01-25-2011, 03:03 AM
From your earlier post you seem to use only V tracks. Have you tried a project with VA tracks. I normally use VA tracks and if I bring a 6 channel AVCHD file and drag to VA1 the audio is automatically spread over stereo in VA1, A1 and A2. Have you tried a project with VA tracks?

Ron Evans

GrassEditor
01-26-2011, 07:13 PM
when you now can playback from the player windows .... it is imho to 50% not a driver ... more a chanellmapping thing

I expressed myself a bit misleading: After installing the new AVCHD2HQ conversion tool I can now again convert the files (but thanks nonetheless for the link!), and I can preview any AVCHD files (with audio!) in the AVCHDPRV player. I was not referring to the Edius player/recorder windows (there is no sound).

I am sure it is not a channel mapping problem - I have tried all thinkable variations (including AV tracks). Like explained, the audio waveform shows, it just doesn't play while any (!) other file type in the exact same (!) timeline track plays normally, independently of project settings.
--> there must be a driver missing

Up to now I've tried 3 different AVCHD cams - same situation so it cannot be corrupt files.

The only thing left appears to be an Edius re-installation (I guess I have to completely uninstall it first?) or to hope for Edius 6.1.

Thanks to you all for your interest in my problems; I know I'm repeating myself but this is truly appreciated.

GrassEditor
01-26-2011, 11:43 PM
I just noticed something else. Normally when importing files Edius would create corresponding EWC2 files containing the audio waveform information (to my knowledge). These files are stored in the same folder as the original A/V file.

Now, when importing AVCHD files additional ESE files (Edius Seek Information) are created; please see the attached screenshot. Is that normal or does it indicate a problem, like Edius missing information?

antonsvideo
01-27-2011, 03:10 AM
the seek files are used so you can scrub the files easy, it is normal

sort folder by type and you don't see them

CentralEurope
01-27-2011, 08:50 AM
have you a Soundcard or the onboard audio from Intel ICHxx

was this a install from 6.01 over a system, who runs 5.5 before + the old AVCHD Converter 3.20 ??

who good you are in windows things, is it a big problem for you
to set up (maybe temporally for test) a second OS on a other prim. partition??

and install on this new and clean OS ... with only 6.0 + 6.01 ??

please do not forget to mark Quick-Time on the Edius Install shield
please do not forget to install the current Audio driver (like Realtek or so on ) from the motherboard site, before you install Edius

we have some hint, but not reproducable, on the german forum, it makes eventually problems
when you install Edius 6 on a sytem with the default windows HD driver from the OS install
also => without the current Audio driver (like Realtek or so on ) from the motherboard site.

on the same OS install => Edius 5.5 runs well and synch with his audio,
6.01 runs out of synch, equal for mpeg or HQ with wave, or whatever

maybe, corrupt spltter-arangement without the Realtecdriver??
later install the audio driver did not solve the problem ... only new clean OS install did help

GrassEditor
01-28-2011, 02:01 AM
Thanks Anton.

@Central€urope: Oh hell this sounds bad. But at least good to know I'm not the only person out there having problems w/ audio.

What means out-of-synch audio? During playback? Or an audio offset compared to the video?

Ayyaz
10-26-2011, 09:58 AM
Hi All!
I am having a problem of playback AVCHD video on timeline in Edius 6.01.
In timeline it plays in breaks can anyone tell me what's the problem is?

Ayyaz

antonsvideo
10-26-2011, 11:11 AM
the latest free update is 6.05 which has about 200 bug fixes compared to 6.01

what sort of playback problem do you have

also, we need to know your computer specs